How to get the Project Dashboard right

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 1 16:53:38 UTC 2010

On 01.05.10 17:34:57, David Nolden wrote:
> One thing about plasma: it is simply the wrong tool for this tasks. Other
> approaches for re-using plasma for similar things imo failed completely (see
> amarok), and ended up emulating a completely normal widgets+tabs interface.
>
> Plasma is optimized for allowing the user to build his own user-interface,
> and the only place where this seems appropriate is the desktop.
>
> To me the right tool for this job seems to be a simple qwebview. Create the
> layout using html, allow themeing it through css, and if required you can
> even embed custom widgets to display whatever stuff you like.

Just a quick note (I haven't yet looked into the original mails yet):

I don't like having plasma as dependency for kdevelop, its relatively big,
I'm not quite sure how good it works cross-platform and I think it looks
alien anywhere except on the desktop (well actually even there).

But IMHO its a better alternative than an html-view. HTML is simply the
wrong tool here for a dashboard, it takes much more work to do the same
with HTML that you can do with plasma. And having a used a really good
HTML-dashboard, complete configurability is one of the key features. That
includes moving widgets around and also disabling/enabling them as well as
configuring their content.

You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
be sold.