new import wizard, discussing vcs interfaces

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat May 1 15:24:52 UTC 2010

Hi,
As a first iteration I thought it would be a good improvement to provide VCS
checkout capability, for now I tried to add a first page for checking out in
case we want to import the project remotely, that's the UI VCS plugins are
providing:

http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_git.png
http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_svn1.png

I guess that here the problem is that since it's some interface that wasn't
used we're just getting untested stuff. (Note that's what we get when we
call IBasicVersionControl::createImportMetadataWidget). That unveils me some
doubts on the API which I hope that someone (named apaku? :D).

If I understand correctly this interface should just provide some means to
setup a proper VcsLocation instance to be able to provide to
IBVC::createWorkingCopy, no?

Here's the main problems I find:
- Why setSourceLocation wants a VcsLocation and source returns a KUrl?
- Who is charged to get the directory where we're going to check it out? I
think that this shouldn't be on the VCS widget but in in the wizard code,
I'll change that if it's ok.
- Why do we have a message field? Why do we need a message for checking out
a repository?

Thanks!
Aleix