Request for feature freeze exemption: "New File" action in Filesystem toolview context menu

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 22:45:52 UTC 2010

On 02.03.10 23:26:37, Niko Sams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 23:04, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 02.03.10 23:50:30, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> >> Hey, I'd like to cram in one little, but very badly missing feature.
> >>
> >> When I work with Ruby projects, most of the time I use "Filesystem" view
> >> instead of "Projects". And it lacks the ability to create a new file.
> >>
> >> So, do you think it's ok to commit or I shall wait with this until 4.1?
> >
> > I'm undecided, because:
> >
> > a) this is a really small addition and won't cause any harm
> > b) BUT I want to avoid getting an excemption request every other day for
> > a little piece here and a little piece there.
> >
> > So I'd like to see some input from the rest of the team, if nobody
> > replies until the end of the week I'll take the right as maintainer and
> > deny the excemption as to not create a precedent.
>
> Projects and Sessions are relatively complicated to set up.

Then we need to make that easier, but I can't see how to make setting up
a project easier than opening the directory. After all, KDevelop is not
just an editor to throw a file at.

> For that reason using Filesystem view should be considered as an
> important feature: Currently I use for web stuff where I don't have
> setup a project Quanta3.
> Actually I have never tried KDevelop4 for that

Maybe you should try it? I've never ever used a filesystem view in KDev3
or KDev4, but then again I'm using it mostly for C/C++ :)

>, but not having a
> possibility to create new files
> would be a show stopper for me.

You can create new files without the filesystem view, either using
Ctrl+N and then saving at any place you like (using the normal
filedialog). Or by using the context menu of the project tree where
you'll have to supply a filename first.

Avoid gunfire in the bathroom tonight.