Make/Install (as root) problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Jul 5 13:58:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

 I'm currently trying to fix the Build and Install (as Superuser)
behavior for launches. Unfortunately things are rather broken here, or
more exactly not prepared for this scenario. If you select the above
option, right now you just get a dialog that it is not implemented.
 But...actually it works.

If "Install as root" is configured in the project configuration, it will
use that setting when you just select Build and Install as a launch
dependency.

A starightforward solution would be to simply get rid of the Build and
Install (as Superuser) option, that is not implemented. I tempted to do
it, as it is just confusing (after all, the project is the place where
you could configure if install can go on as a regular user or needs
superuser rights), but there is a problem: that option just runs "sudo
make install". This means that it might generate files with root
permissions in your build dir.

So I changed it to run make and (kde)sudo make install as two separate
jobs.
Pros: makes it more clearer the UI and acutally gets rid of a not-
working option.
Cons: build and make will be a separate step, in cmake this makes
somewhat more time to build/install prior to running.

Andras

PS: If you wonder, why isn't there a merge request: after fiddling a lot
with gitorious and not able to find how to create it, I got the info
that I might have a need for my own clone. Well, i don't have it, sorry.
Here is the diff instead.

PS2: The .ui file change is virtually unreadable, blame Qt Designer. I
just removed an element from the combobox.