Problems with new session support

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:20:37 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 23:01:06 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 27.01.10 22:22:29, David Nolden wrote:
> > I think the old session management dialog was simply one dialog too much.
> > "Opening" a session means simply clicking it, what is so hard about that?
> > Also the old dialog didn't work right. It couldn't deal with multiple
> > sessions of the same name, it didn't show the contained projects, etc.
> > etc.
>
> Nothing that wasn't fixabel ;)
>
> > > And note: I have nearly always more than one KDevelop instance running
> > >  (with different sessions of course) and this also is utterly
> > > unsupported right now. Having the --sessions switch will help, but I'd
> > > still like to see a way to start a session from inside KDevelop without
> > > it automatically closing my last instance!
> >
> > Multiple running KDevelop instances are another good reason to not allow
> > deleting or renaming a not-active session: It might be active in another
> > KDevelop instance, so you should better leave it alone.
>
> Thats easily solveable with a .lock file and a (Running) text in the
> dialog.
>
> In essence, setting up more than 1 named session is currently a total
> PITA.
Setting up named sessions is not a PITA at all. To name a session, all you
need to do is "Session -> Rename -> type name -> return". In contrast using
the sesssion dialog, you needed to "Session -> Configure Sessions -> click
current session name -> wait until the text is editable -> type name -> click
apply -> close dialog", which is a much bigger PITA for this simple usecase.

The only thing that doesn't work now is "top-down" session management, eg.
changing attributes of one session from within other sessions. And I simply
think that this top-down session management is ver unimportant. I still don't
get why a session name is such an important attribute that you need to change
it all the time from within other sessions.

Fine, if someone wants to fix the dialog it's ok with me, but then it should
IMO go to "Settings -> Manage Sessions", or maybe even into a KCM.

> Not to mention that sessions are only stored persistently once I
> opened a project, so its not possible to do:
>
> new session
> rename
> new session
> rename
> new session
> rename
>
> Instead in each session I also have to open a project and wait until its
> open.

Wrong, empty sessions are only deleted if they are unnamed. Once you give them
a name they are persistent. For example, I have one empty session called
"empty" for testing smaller stuff.

Greetings, David