Problems with new session support

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 22:01:06 UTC 2010

On 27.01.10 22:22:29, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 18:36:48 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> > And for that I would need to start every single one of my sessions, just to
> > give them a name. This totally blows imo... I'd like to have the old dialog
> > back...
> I think the old session management dialog was simply one dialog too much.
> "Opening" a session means simply clicking it, what is so hard about that? Also
> the old dialog didn't work right. It couldn't deal with multiple sessions of
> the same name, it didn't show the contained projects, etc. etc.

Nothing that wasn't fixabel ;)

> > And note: I have nearly always more than one KDevelop instance running
> >  (with different sessions of course) and this also is utterly unsupported
> >  right now. Having the --sessions switch will help, but I'd still like to
> >  see a way to start a session from inside KDevelop without it automatically
> >  closing my last instance!
>
> Multiple running KDevelop instances are another good reason to not allow
> deleting or renaming a not-active session: It might be active in another
> KDevelop instance, so you should better leave it alone.

Thats easily solveable with a .lock file and a (Running) text in the
dialog.

In essence, setting up more than 1 named session is currently a total
PITA. Not to mention that sessions are only stored persistently once I
opened a project, so its not possible to do:

new session
rename
new session
rename
new session
rename

Instead in each session I also have to open a project and wait until its
open.

You recoil from the crude; you tend naturally toward the exquisite.