Problems with new session support

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 23:21:27 UTC 2010

On 27.01.10 23:20:37, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 23:01:06 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 27.01.10 22:22:29, David Nolden wrote:
> > > I think the old session management dialog was simply one dialog too much.
> > > "Opening" a session means simply clicking it, what is so hard about that?
> > > Also the old dialog didn't work right. It couldn't deal with multiple
> > > sessions of the same name, it didn't show the contained projects, etc.
> > > etc.
> >
> > Nothing that wasn't fixabel ;)

> > > Multiple running KDevelop instances are another good reason to not allow
> > > deleting or renaming a not-active session: It might be active in another
> > > KDevelop instance, so you should better leave it alone.
> >
> > Thats easily solveable with a .lock file and a (Running) text in the
> > dialog.
> >
> > In essence, setting up more than 1 named session is currently a total
> > PITA.
> Setting up named sessions is not a PITA at all. To name a session, all you
> need to do is "Session -> Rename -> type name -> return". In contrast using
> the sesssion dialog, you needed to "Session -> Configure Sessions -> click
> current session name -> wait until the text is editable -> type name -> click
> apply -> close dialog", which is a much bigger PITA for this simple usecase.

But, once I'm in the dialog I can rename all my 5 sessions at once,
instead of having to spend 10 minutes loading each one, opening a
project (so the session is actually persisted) and renaming it then.
Thats the PITA.

> The only thing that doesn't work now is "top-down" session management, eg.
> changing attributes of one session from within other sessions. And I simply
> think that this top-down session management is ver unimportant. I still don't
> get why a session name is such an important attribute that you need to change
> it all the time from within other sessions.

Because its much more convenient to type

especially when I'm doing that 12 times a day (which I actually do these
days, though not with kdev). I'm not using the GUI to switch sessions at
all.

> Fine, if someone wants to fix the dialog it's ok with me, but then it should
> IMO go to "Settings -> Manage Sessions", or maybe even into a KCM.
>
> > Not to mention that sessions are only stored persistently once I
> > opened a project, so its not possible to do:
> >
> > new session
> > rename
> > new session
> > rename
> > new session
> > rename
> >
> > Instead in each session I also have to open a project and wait until its
> > open.
>
> Wrong, empty sessions are only deleted if they are unnamed. Once you give them
> a name they are persistent. For example, I have one empty session called
> "empty" for testing smaller stuff.

Ok, then I misremembered that. So the setup process is easier than I
thought. I think I can live with that, though it would still be nice to
be able to rename sessions that are currently not open IMHO, especially
for things like fixing typo's or the like - something where closing,
awkward.

Leaves the deletion. Same thing there, you don't do it often and thats
one of the reasons why it should be easy and fast to delete any session
(thats not currently opened). If something is complicated or takes time
that you only do once in a while its a nuisance to do it.

You are going to have a new love affair.