more ui polishing: working sets

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Jan 23 15:05:55 UTC 2010

Sam S., 23.01.2010:
> I've now finished creating individual .svgz + .png's vor each icon for
> various scale factors, canvas sizes and overlay combinations (or more
> accurately, I've created a script that produces these automatically).
>
> Take a look at:
> http://smls75.sqweebs.com/kdevelop%20working%20sets%20proposal/icons.html
>
> Tell me if I should add the "inactive" (grey) versions too, in case
> you don't want KDevelop to generate those on the fly.
>
> Personally, I'd vote for shipping the
>
>   icons_fit/15x12/working-set-??.png
>   icons_fit/15x12/overlay-close.png
>   icons_fit/15x12/overlay-goto.png
>
>   icons_fit/16x14/working-set-??.png
>   icons_fit/16x14/overlay-close.png
>   icons_fit/16x14/overlay-goto.png
>
>   icons_fit/26x26/working-set-??.png
>
> icons with KDevelop. Then the "working-set-??.png" icons could be
> preprocessed on the fly (create inactive versions, invert for dark
> application color schemes, etc...), and on demand the "overlay-*.png"
> icons could simply be drawn on top (they already have the correct
> dimensions!).
>
> I've also added square versions in case that's a requirement for
> icons, as well as plain cropped versions in case you do not wish to
> use overlay icons (or want to do the overlay positioning yourself).

Awesome. Thanks a million. I'll see how I can implement them. I'll probably
just ship the stuff as you proposed and change them on-demand. Thanks!

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I started to implement one thing or another. Please review, I don't do
> > much with the GUI-related API of Qt ;-)
>
> Cool...
> Be sure to also have a look at the "detailed breakdown of the
> proposal" page
> (http://smls75.sqweebs.com/kdevelop%20working%20sets%20proposal/details.ht
> ml), which might be useful if you're trying to decide which parts of the
> proposal to implement...

Yep, saw that, really awesome how much attention to detail you put into these
mockups. Greatly appreciated! I think buttons + the toolbar for all available
sets will be next.

> > Todo/questions:
> >
> > - how can I make a QToolButton "flat"? sadly there is no setFlat() method
> > :( And   m_setButton->setAutoRaise(true); still has a background that I
> > cannot remove, even with setting a NoRole as backgroundRole...
>
> Found this using Google:
> http://www.qtforum.org/article/22126/flat-qtoolbutton.html

It seems to be outdated, at least the Palette-method they use there is not
available in Qt 4.6 it seems. The autoRaise works, but the background still
has a different color, i.e. is not transparent...

> > - are the icons for load/close working set OK or should we request new
> > ones? I abused the project icons
>
> Don't you like the "working set icon + close/goto overlay" concept? Or
> did it just seem like too much effort?
> In case of the latter, maybe it's easier now with the icons_fit and
> icons_fitsquare .png's I've uploaded...

True, with the overlays it should work out fine. Thanks again.

> > - can we decrease the font size here?
>
> What do you mean? The default font size looks nice to me...
> One way to reduce the vertical size of the tooltips would be to
> implement point IV. iii. 2. of the proposal... :-)

That's true, lets see whether I come around to implement that. The thing I
don't like with hover is that you don't directly see which files are opened and
which not (in the current set). But this could be done with background colors
or something like that...

> > - how could I increase the visual separation between title (so far only
> > "Working Set" but I plan to make that optionally editable inline)?
>
> Aren't you planning to add a sequential numbering to the default
> titles? That would make them much more descriptive imo.

Yes, I will do that eventually. What I meant here was the separation against
the (even flat) buttons... I personally think it could improved, just don't
know how :D

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de