more ui polishing: working sets

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 11:24:38 UTC 2010

I've now finished creating individual .svgz + .png's vor each icon for
various scale factors, canvas sizes and overlay combinations (or more
accurately, I've created a script that produces these automatically).

Take a look at:
http://smls75.sqweebs.com/kdevelop%20working%20sets%20proposal/icons.html

Tell me if I should add the "inactive" (grey) versions too, in case
you don't want KDevelop to generate those on the fly.

Personally, I'd vote for shipping the

  icons_fit/15x12/working-set-??.png
  icons_fit/15x12/overlay-close.png
  icons_fit/15x12/overlay-goto.png

  icons_fit/16x14/working-set-??.png
  icons_fit/16x14/overlay-close.png
  icons_fit/16x14/overlay-goto.png

  icons_fit/26x26/working-set-??.png

icons with KDevelop. Then the "working-set-??.png" icons could be
preprocessed on the fly (create inactive versions, invert for dark
application color schemes, etc...), and on demand the "overlay-*.png"
icons could simply be drawn on top (they already have the correct
dimensions!).

I've also added square versions in case that's a requirement for
icons, as well as plain cropped versions in case you do not wish to
use overlay icons (or want to do the overlay positioning yourself).

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> [...]
> I started to implement one thing or another. Please review, I don't do much
> with the GUI-related API of Qt ;-)

Cool...
Be sure to also have a look at the "detailed breakdown of the
proposal" page (http://smls75.sqweebs.com/kdevelop%20working%20sets%20proposal/details.html),
which might be useful if you're trying to decide which parts of the
proposal to implement...

> Todo/questions:
>
> - how can I make a QToolButton "flat"? sadly there is no setFlat() method :(
> And   m_setButton->setAutoRaise(true); still has a background that I cannot
> remove, even with setting a NoRole as backgroundRole...

Found this using Google:
http://www.qtforum.org/article/22126/flat-qtoolbutton.html

> - are the icons for load/close working set OK or should we request new ones? I
> abused the project icons

Don't you like the "working set icon + close/goto overlay" concept? Or
did it just seem like too much effort?
In case of the latter, maybe it's easier now with the icons_fit and
icons_fitsquare .png's I've uploaded...

> - can we decrease the font size here?

What do you mean? The default font size looks nice to me...
One way to reduce the vertical size of the tooltips would be to
implement point IV. iii. 2. of the proposal... :-)

> - how could I increase the visual separation between title (so far only
> "Working Set" but I plan to make that optionally editable inline)?

Aren't you planning to add a sequential numbering to the default
titles? That would make them much more descriptive imo.