more ui polishing: working sets

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jan 21 02:02:34 UTC 2010

On Saturday 16 January 2010 20:26:25 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Sam S., 16.01.2010:
> > On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > > I didn't see the actual message, and cannot find it on the mailing
> > > list. When did you send it, and can you send it again?
> >
> > Hi David, thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I sent the mail on January 8, you can see it at
> > http://lists.kde.org/?t=126295898400003&r=1&w=2 ...
> > I guess there might still be a problem with the mailing list (or it's
> > spam filter) then?
> >
> > > Basically, I do think working sets could be improved further, but I
> > > also feel they work quite well the way they are now, and we have more
> > > serious UI issues in the much more important "building" area that
> > > should IMO be adressed with a higher priority (the connection between
> > > the "Project" menu, "Buildsets", and the project tree view).
> >
> > Yes, I certainly don't want to keep you from those areas... (The
> > reason I didn't work on a proposal for the project handling stuff
> > instead, is that I don't quite understand that myself... So I'll
> > personally definitely be happy to see some UI improvements there...
> > ;-))
> > I was just hoping that in addition to that, the working sets UI
> > cleanups I suggested (or at least a subset thereof) might *also* make
> > it into the 4.0 release...
>
> I will see if I can work on it. Since I got exams coming up a bit of GUI
> work without much side effects is certainly something I could fit in imo.
> But lets see when and how I can port your awesome mockups into reality.

I started to implement one thing or another. Please review, I don't do much
with the GUI-related API of Qt ;-)

Todo/questions:

- how can I make a QToolButton "flat"? sadly there is no setFlat() method :(
And   m_setButton->setAutoRaise(true); still has a background that I cannot
remove, even with setting a NoRole as backgroundRole...

- are the icons for load/close working set OK or should we request new ones? I
abused the project icons

- can we decrease the font size here?

- how could I increase the visual separation between title (so far only
"Working Set" but I plan to make that optionally editable inline)?

good n8

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de