Workingsets

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:52:34 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 00:35:30 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 15.02.10 21:54:11, David Nolden wrote:
> > Generally working-sets are something that no other IDE has
>
> Thats actually wrong. Eclipse has them since years (and looking at video's
> from people who use Eclipse a lot they're much used there).
Interesting, I didn't know about that yet.

> > So let's reformulate Niko's question to a useful one:
> > If you don't use them, why not?
>
> Because so far, nobody showed me any benefit that I'd have in my current
> workflow. And actually, not having keyboard shortcuts might be part of the
> problem, for me. I'm not sure though. One thing I could see me using
> workingsets for is leaving my current work on feature X aside for 5 minutes
> to quickly double-check something on a different part of the project (for
> example a colleague asks a question related to that). In that case having
> to leave the keyboard is awfully slow :)
Well, 5 seconds mouse-actions after 5 minutes of work doesn't sound like such
an awful slowdown. This is an action performed so seldomly that I think nobody
would remember a shortcut for that I think, the same way you don't need a
shortcut to switch sessions (hmm sounds familiar, I think I said that already
in this discussion ;-) ).

> As far as really switching between working part X of the software and
> working on part Y with different files. This does happen, but not very
> often and most of the time when I switch from X to Y, I've finished
> something on X so next time I work in there I don't really need the files I
> had open anymore. I might need some of them again, but some others I don't.
>
> And unfortunately the codebase where I work on really long-taking features,
> and multiple such features in parallel, I can't use KDevelop as it has no
> support for working on Eclipse Java code :(
That is the exact use-case for working-sets. And I think this usecase is valid
enough to support it in our main setup, without having to switch on any
additional plug-ins, as it is an absolute every-day situation in a
professional developers life.

And if our current working-set implementation doesn't work for such use-cases,
then we should improve it.

Greetings, David