Workingsets

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 16 08:42:17 UTC 2010

On 16.02.10 00:52:34, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 00:35:30 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 15.02.10 21:54:11, David Nolden wrote:
> > > Generally working-sets are something that no other IDE has
> >
> > Thats actually wrong. Eclipse has them since years (and looking at video's
> > from people who use Eclipse a lot they're much used there).
> Interesting, I didn't know about that yet.

I'm not sure, but I could imagine that at least netbeans also has this
already. In Eclipse you can not only put files into the set, but also
projects, its however a bit more complicated to setup than in KDevelop,
IIRC.

> > > So let's reformulate Niko's question to a useful one:
> > > If you don't use them, why not?
> >
> > Because so far, nobody showed me any benefit that I'd have in my current
> > workflow. And actually, not having keyboard shortcuts might be part of the
> > problem, for me. I'm not sure though. One thing I could see me using
> > workingsets for is leaving my current work on feature X aside for 5 minutes
> > to quickly double-check something on a different part of the project (for
> > example a colleague asks a question related to that). In that case having
> > to leave the keyboard is awfully slow :)
> Well, 5 seconds mouse-actions after 5 minutes of work doesn't sound like such
> an awful slowdown. This is an action performed so seldomly that I think nobody
> would remember a shortcut for that I think, the same way you don't need a
> shortcut to switch sessions (hmm sounds familiar, I think I said that already
> in this discussion ;-) ).

Yeap, I agree about the sessions. Well, of those 5 minutes, I might use
kdevelop only 1 (the rest of the time I'm trying to make myself clear to
my colleague ;). Its simply annoying to have to move the hand to the
mouse.

> > As far as really switching between working part X of the software and
> > working on part Y with different files. This does happen, but not very
> > often and most of the time when I switch from X to Y, I've finished
> > something on X so next time I work in there I don't really need the files I
> > had open anymore. I might need some of them again, but some others I don't.
> >
> > And unfortunately the codebase where I work on really long-taking features,
> > and multiple such features in parallel, I can't use KDevelop as it has no
> > support for working on Eclipse Java code :(
> That is the exact use-case for working-sets. And I think this usecase is valid
> enough to support it in our main setup, without having to switch on any
> additional plug-ins, as it is an absolute every-day situation in a
> professional developers life.

One thing that annoys me is that Debug and Code area have different
workingsets by default _and_ thats its not very easy to move files from
one to the other. I need to switch back to code and use quickopen to
open the file. And then I'm not at the place where I was in debug area.
So when I've found the place with the bug in debug area and want to fix
it thats a bit cumbersome.

You are so boring that when I see you my feet go to sleep.