Workingsets

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Feb 15 23:35:30 UTC 2010

On 15.02.10 21:54:11, David Nolden wrote:
> Generally working-sets are something that no other IDE has

Thats actually wrong. Eclipse has them since years (and looking at video's
from people who use Eclipse a lot they're much used there).

> So let's reformulate Niko's question to a useful one:
> If you don't use them, why not?

Because so far, nobody showed me any benefit that I'd have in my current
workflow. And actually, not having keyboard shortcuts might be part of the
problem, for me. I'm not sure though. One thing I could see me using
workingsets for is leaving my current work on feature X aside for 5 minutes
to quickly double-check something on a different part of the project (for
example a colleague asks a question related to that). In that case having
to leave the keyboard is awfully slow :)

As far as really switching between working part X of the software and
working on part Y with different files. This does happen, but not very
often and most of the time when I switch from X to Y, I've finished
something on X so next time I work in there I don't really need the files I
had open anymore. I might need some of them again, but some others I don't.

And unfortunately the codebase where I work on really long-taking features,
and multiple such features in parallel, I can't use KDevelop as it has no
support for working on Eclipse Java code :(

Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.