Call for Help: Drupalify the KDevelop website

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Dec 30 14:42:17 UTC 2010

Hi,
Regarding the CMS, I'll have to align myself with Milian, even if I find
your work (Amilcar) really valuable, we don't want to maintain that code so
in the long run it's better just to use something already established. That
will ease the website maintaining. I hope that will be the first step to a
KDE-ification of the *kdevelop.org services that came from an island
elsewhere which brought a look of fragmented community.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> amilcar at ida.ing.tu-bs.de, 30.12.2010:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > My plan is to copy part of the KDev4 content from the wiki to the
> website,
> > After that improve the website a bit to make it more similar to Sam's
> > mockups.
> > Once that is done we can calmly move to Drupal or typo3. No need to rush.
> > We do have a working structure (custom CMS), what we lack is content
> > although anyone can edit the wiki.
>
> *sigh*. Sorry amilcar, but this is just ... wrong. Really, you might like
> your
> CMS but it is a royal pain to work with. There is just no point in wasting
> any
> more time on it. I will continue to work on the Drupal page, as far as I
> can
> see it it's nearly done. Only the template needs to be ported, which I'll
> continue to do now.
>
> > So I sugest we keep adding and improving content in the wiki and later on
> > import the content into drupal.
>
> While a wiki is nice and good for some things, a real website is imo much
> better marketing wise. It looks official and is all found easily from one
> place.
>
> I'll continue to use the Wiki for HowTos, Release Schedules etc. but stuff
> like feature comparison, FAQ, etc. should be integrated into the website.

How are we going to contribute the texts?

> > The current custom CMS is a bit like unix, lots of small and very good
> > tools put together to achieve a task. Drupal is like windows, big,
> > massive, shiny, but it will take a while before it bends like you want it
> > to :)
>
> Bullshit.
>
> > But is I do belive that in the long run drupal makes more sense.
>
> You should try to think on how to change the old website to make it clear
> it
> only contains legacy content, and on how to link to the new page soon. Also
> it
> would be good if you can tell me who owns the kdevelop.org domain. If it's
> you, please think about moving the domain to the kollide.net server
> eventually. Maybe move the existing website to something like
> legacy.kdevelop.org
>
> Bye
> --
> Milian Wolff