Call for Help: Drupalify the KDevelop website

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Dec 30 14:25:57 UTC 2010

amilcar at ida.ing.tu-bs.de, 30.12.2010:
> Hi all.
>
> My plan is to copy part of the KDev4 content from the wiki to the website,
> After that improve the website a bit to make it more similar to Sam's
> mockups.
> Once that is done we can calmly move to Drupal or typo3. No need to rush.
> We do have a working structure (custom CMS), what we lack is content
> although anyone can edit the wiki.

*sigh*. Sorry amilcar, but this is just ... wrong. Really, you might like your
CMS but it is a royal pain to work with. There is just no point in wasting any
more time on it. I will continue to work on the Drupal page, as far as I can
see it it's nearly done. Only the template needs to be ported, which I'll
continue to do now.

> So I sugest we keep adding and improving content in the wiki and later on
> import the content into drupal.

While a wiki is nice and good for some things, a real website is imo much
better marketing wise. It looks official and is all found easily from one
place.

I'll continue to use the Wiki for HowTos, Release Schedules etc. but stuff
like feature comparison, FAQ, etc. should be integrated into the website.

> The current custom CMS is a bit like unix, lots of small and very good
> tools put together to achieve a task. Drupal is like windows, big,
> massive, shiny, but it will take a while before it bends like you want it
> to :)

Bullshit.

> But is I do belive that in the long run drupal makes more sense.

You should try to think on how to change the old website to make it clear it
only contains legacy content, and on how to link to the new page soon. Also it
would be good if you can tell me who owns the kdevelop.org domain. If it's
you, please think about moving the domain to the kollide.net server
eventually. Maybe move the existing website to something like
legacy.kdevelop.org

Bye
--
Milian Wolff