Auto-completion "eats" next symbol

Ciprian Ciubotariu cheepeero at gmx.net
Thu Dec 9 15:29:11 UTC 2010

Hello. I am also interested in this modification, since most of the time I am annoyed by the eating. I'm a C++ developer only though.

I think best would be to examine usage scenarios and quick workarounds:

1. It eats next word and I want it to. This is the current behavior and is perfect for this case.
2. It eats next word and I don't want it to.

Workaround 1: after completion I have to retype the word. This involves breaking my line of thought in order to remember the word, so it sucks.
Workaround 2: cut+paste: Exit auto-completion (esc), select the existing word (ctrl+shift+right), cut (ctrl+x), hit ctrl+enter to retrigger completion, select the desired completion, navigate to proper position and paste (ctrl+v). Make sure to do that before emptying clipboard.
Workaround 3: before triggering the completion to add a space, go back, hit ctrl+enter (or +space?), complete the word, navigate around the possibly added parenthesis and delete the space.

3. It doesn't eat next word, but I want it to.

Workaround: Hit enter to complete the word, navigate around possible paranthesis, select word (ctrl+shift+right) and delete it (del).

4. It doesn't eat next word and I don't want it to. Again, nothing more to do.

I feel the workaround for option 3 is easier to perform than any of those for option 2.

Might be an idea to add a configuration option checkmark in the autocompletion dialog-box as well. Again, a better idea would be to have per-project/per-session/global configuration options for any of KDevelop's behaviors, but that's another story.