Tutorial collection/end-user docs

Michael Hart michael.george.hart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:16:50 UTC 2010

It is a start and it starts from the start.

However, most end users will be coming from existing systems such are the
prior Kdevelop3, MS Visual Studios, JAVA BEAN, Eclipse etc. so it is to
these people I think you should first focus on.
Most like myself will want to port existing systems to kdevelop4

So may I recommend you start off focusing on how kdevelop4 does things when
compared to existing systems.

>From personal experience my biggest issue in moving to kdevelop4 is how
kdevelop4 does things when compared to kdevelop3 and MS Visual studios both
of which I have been using since the late 1990's. It hard changing a person
mindset after so many years in using a took in a particular manner

In my case I did not care about the fact I could import Makefiles from
existing systems to work with kdevelop4 environment. It felt unnatural and
since I did not know anything about automake etc and how it went about
generated the Makefiles, Also it felt like I was dependent on the prior
system to generate the proper makefiles if I was to change or add anything
to my existing build system

I want to use cmake as to allow me to depart from my existing tools and it
was not obvious how to do that.

I have since too a hard bite of the bullet and after reading several
tutorials on CMAKE and keeping the cmake documentation on hand was able to
port totally to kdevelop4 in about three hours. cmake is really easy to
understand.

Since the getting started are almost a waste of time for people experienced
with other IDE I would recommend first doing non trivial tutorials on

   1. Dependent targets that are not necessarily sub directories or sub
   projects of the other
   2. libraries {static & shared} how to go about creating and linking
   against even under the condition given above,
   3. How to simply drag and drop files into directory causes kdevelop4
   cmake system build your project.

Well that my two cents on the your idea.
Whatever may come keep in mind most of your end users are already using and
IDE of some sort. What you need to do is show them why kdevelop4 is so much
better. The basic stuff most of the like me may consider a nice fluff to
your presentation.

Michael