VCS Project integration plugin

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Aug 23 20:33:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 23.08.10 20:30:17, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I revived that plugin I was working on during the last KDevelop meeting,
> now
> > it's a new toolview that displays what changes we have in every project
> we
> > have opened. It's quite useful to be able to see what's the work we have.
> >
> > The only very important thing to put is a context menu to expose some
> > important actions.
> >
> > It still needs some love so I won't push it for 4.1 but I think it can be
> > good thing to have in 4.2. If you have any interest on that please test
> it
> > and tell me what do you think.
>
> How about merging the functionality into the existing project treeview?

Hmmm... yes, that was my previous approach. I was setting a different text
color for every item status. It worked nice but it was hard to tell what did
a color mean.

> (I haven't tried this so far, so no idea how the current Ui looks like)
> Also I think it would be nice to have some overlay icon we can re-use in
> other places (like the document-tabs, the document-list, the
> document-history) and an easy way to add the overlay...

Yes, overlayed icons would be cool, but the problem is that these icons are
quite small and I (we, i think I talked about that with alex, nico and
milian IIRC) considered it would look a little ugly to have these overlayed
icons.

Also the other problem on overlays was that we had to code everything (now
it will be easier though, with the new ProjectModel interface, it's not like
before that I had to do weird tricks with QStandardItem::icon()), I agree
this would be really cool though..

> Andreas
>
> --
> You recoil from the crude; you tend naturally toward the exquisite.
>
> --

Does anybody know how do other IDE's deal with that sort of problem?

Aleix