VCS Project integration plugin

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 23 21:29:18 UTC 2010

On 23.08.10 22:33:04, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 23.08.10 20:30:17, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > I revived that plugin I was working on during the last KDevelop meeting,
> > now
> > > it's a new toolview that displays what changes we have in every project
> > we
> > > have opened. It's quite useful to be able to see what's the work we have.
> > >
> > > The only very important thing to put is a context menu to expose some
> > > important actions.
> > >
> > > It still needs some love so I won't push it for 4.1 but I think it can be
> > > good thing to have in 4.2. If you have any interest on that please test
> > it
> > > and tell me what do you think.
> >
> > How about merging the functionality into the existing project treeview?
> >
> Hmmm... yes, that was my previous approach. I was setting a different text
> color for every item status. It worked nice but it was hard to tell what did
> a color mean.

What eclipse does is use an icon overlay and additionally add some
(alpha-blended) text to the item. Another option would be to add 2-3
columns for the status (this is what KDev3 had).

> > (I haven't tried this so far, so no idea how the current Ui looks like)
> > Also I think it would be nice to have some overlay icon we can re-use in
> > other places (like the document-tabs, the document-list, the
> > document-history) and an easy way to add the overlay...
>
> Yes, overlayed icons would be cool, but the problem is that these icons are
> quite small and I (we, i think I talked about that with alex, nico and
> milian IIRC) considered it would look a little ugly to have these overlayed
> icons.

Well, it looks rather well in Eclipse IMHO. Of course you cannot create
10 different states like that as you cannot create so many sufficiently
different-looking icons with just 4x4 pixel (or was it 3x3). All it
indicates in Eclipse is up-to-date vs. modified vs. conflict IIRC (last
used this about a year ago).

> Also the other problem on overlays was that we had to code everything (now
> it will be easier though, with the new ProjectModel interface, it's not like
> before that I had to do weird tricks with QStandardItem::icon()), I agree
> this would be really cool though..

Cool that there's more benefit from the project model change :)

> Does anybody know how do other IDE's deal with that sort of problem?

See above, Eclipse. Should be easy to get that going with either a cvs
or svn project in Eclipse. If you want to I can try to do some
screenshots tomorrow or wednesday.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.