4.1 release schedule

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Aug 18 13:18:54 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, 17. August 2010 01:17:55 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've recently had a discussion with Aleix and Andreas on IRC on how and
> when to do the next release.
>
> If I remember correctly, we three agreed that having a 4.1 release that
> works with KDE 4.4 is desirable, not least because of e.g. Debian Squeeze.
>
> My plan for 4.1 now is the following, which I propose hereby to you.
>
> - do polishing and bug fixing the next two weeks. Last minute inclusion of
> small new features, maybe even merge Git plugin.
> - branch of 4.1 on 1st of September, release first beta. Feature freeze
> - bug fixing with hopefully one beta release per week. If we don't have
> enough time/manpower to do useful stuff in one week, one release every two
> weeks. - string freeze on 15th of September.
> - first RC release on first of Oktober.
> - 4.1 release on 15th of Oktober.
>
> Yes, it's two months until then. I'd like to decrease the time, but:
>
> - I'll have a one week vacation at end of August without net connection
> - we need at least one month of string freeze if I understood Andreas
> correctly, will talk to Albert about that
> - we need at least two weeks of free-for-all bug fixing, polishing etc. pp.
> without string freeze getting in our way.
>
> This is just a proposal, if you have better ideas, I'm all for it.
>
> Furthermore: Once 4.1 is branched, I'll merge the movingrange branches into
> master, so that people can use kdelibs/kate trunk with kdevelop master
> again.
>
> Also I think I'll do a 4.0.2 release next week as it's rather simple and
> there are a bunch of bug fixes there as well. Afterwards, 4.0.x will be
> dead.

Since apparently all agree that this is a good idea, lets set it into stone.

I've put the schedule on our wiki:

http://kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/4.1_Release_Schedule

For last minute complaints, please shout out. Otherwise I'll also announce our
schedule to the packagers and translators so they can prepare and mark the
dates in their diaries :)

Bye
--
Milian Wolff