4.1 release schedule

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 17 05:46:43 UTC 2010

On 17.08.10 01:17:55, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've recently had a discussion with Aleix and Andreas on IRC on how and when
> to do the next release.
>
> If I remember correctly, we three agreed that having a 4.1 release that works
> with KDE 4.4 is desirable, not least because of e.g. Debian Squeeze.

Note that its too late to get 4.1 into Squeeze now, so this is still
only interesting for people that build from source releases...

> My plan for 4.1 now is the following, which I propose hereby to you.
>
> - do polishing and bug fixing the next two weeks. Last minute inclusion of
> small new features, maybe even merge Git plugin.
> - branch of 4.1 on 1st of September, release first beta. Feature freeze
> - bug fixing with hopefully one beta release per week. If we don't have enough
> time/manpower to do useful stuff in one week, one release every two weeks.
> - string freeze on 15th of September.
> - first RC release on first of Oktober.
> - 4.1 release on 15th of Oktober.
>
> Yes, it's two months until then. I'd like to decrease the time, but:
>
> - I'll have a one week vacation at end of August without net connection
> - we need at least one month of string freeze if I understood Andreas
> correctly, will talk to Albert about that
> - we need at least two weeks of free-for-all bug fixing, polishing etc. pp.
> without string freeze getting in our way.
>
> This is just a proposal, if you have better ideas, I'm all for it.

Looks good to me, its not good to rush out a minor release even if it
only has small improvements.

> Furthermore: Once 4.1 is branched, I'll merge the movingrange branches into
> master, so that people can use kdelibs/kate trunk with kdevelop master again.

+1 apparently there are more people using master+trunk than I thought,
so maybe we can even release 4.2 together with KDE 4.6...

> Also I think I'll do a 4.0.2 release next week as it's rather simple and there
> are a bunch of bug fixes there as well. Afterwards, 4.0.x will be dead.

Doing that would be good, especially since now 4.0 won't build anymore
with KDE 4.6 (i.e. trunk) so people don't run into crashes with
non-smart kate (as already happened twice this weekend).

--
You have no real enemies.