Request for review: Okteta plugin 0.1.0 for KDevelop 4.0

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Aug 17 21:00:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org
> wrote:

> Hi, Aleix,
>
> Mardi, le 17 août 2010, à 22:28, Aleix Pol a écrit:
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> > <kossebau at kde.org
> >
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > now that Okteta 0.5.0 is released, also all the headers for the Okteta
> > > libs are published for the first time, so that 3rd-party developers can
> > > make use of
> > > these libs in their software. Well, also 1st-party developers :)
> > >
> > > Thus I just gave some polish to the Okteta plugin for KDevelop 4.0 I
> > > started
> > > at the Kate-KDevelop sprint in Berlin early this year. I think it is
> > > ready for
> > > a first release now. Find it at
> > > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-
> > > plugins/okteta/
> > >
> > > Now I wonder:
> > > What to do? :)
> > > Where (repo, folder) would the released branch of the plugin end?
> > > How/where do I develop the version for KDevelop 4.1?
> > >
> > > So could someone please review the code and help with adding it to the
> > > official plugins (if accepted as such)? Millian, at Akademy you showed
> > > interest to help with this, still possible? :)
> > >
> > > There is still one problem (but on KDevelop side):
> > > in the filesystem tool in the RMB menu all actions from plugins are
> added
> > > once
> > > more if the menu gets shown, so by the time appear x times. Alexander,
> at
> > > Akademy you said you have a fix for this, but I still see this with
> what
> > > I get
> > > if I compile the kdevplatform 1.0 and kdevelop 4.0 branches. Strangely
> > > enough
> > > the KDevelop (1.0.0, 4.0.0) I use here on (K)Ubuntu does not have this
> > > problem. Will this be ixed in 4.0.2/1.0.x? Could I help?
> > >
> > > Some blog blabla for more background:
> > >

> http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/okteta-going-for-kdevelop-and-ka
> > > te/
> > >
> http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/akademy-development-catalysator
> > > /
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Friedrich
> > > --
> > > KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor -
> http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Since we don't want to have oktetalibs installed as a kdevelop
> dependency,
>
> You mean both hard and optionally dependency?
>
> > I guess the best would be that you install kdevelop support together with
> > Okteta and KDevelop will detect that automatically.
>
> Given that I can't add that to SC 4.5 and that there will be multiple
> KDevelop
> releases with incompatible plugin versions in the meantime... sorry, don't
> agree that this is the best :)

> [...]

Well, for the moment we're not relying on other libraries inside KDE.
QtDesigner is Qt and it's fine to put it in KDevelop and we've forked
Kompare library for patch review so it's fine.

In my opinion, having such a KDevelop extra plugins module would be a good
thing but we would need to specify quite clearly what do we want to have
there and in kdevelop itself and so on. For the moment, if you want to
release ASAP just create a separate project and you can go on with that,
when we have enough candidates we can decide to create that module.