Request for review: Okteta plugin 0.1.0 for KDevelop 4.0

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Aug 17 21:23:07 UTC 2010

Hi, Aleix,

Mardi, le 17 août 2010, à 22:28, Aleix Pol a écrit:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> <kossebau at kde.org
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > now that Okteta 0.5.0 is released, also all the headers for the Okteta
> > libs are published for the first time, so that 3rd-party developers can
> > make use of
> > these libs in their software. Well, also 1st-party developers :)
> >
> > Thus I just gave some polish to the Okteta plugin for KDevelop 4.0 I
> > started
> > at the Kate-KDevelop sprint in Berlin early this year. I think it is
> > ready for
> > a first release now. Find it at
> > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-
> > plugins/okteta/
> >
> > Now I wonder:
> > What to do? :)
> > Where (repo, folder) would the released branch of the plugin end?
> > How/where do I develop the version for KDevelop 4.1?
> >
> > So could someone please review the code and help with adding it to the
> > official plugins (if accepted as such)? Millian, at Akademy you showed
> > interest to help with this, still possible? :)
> >
> > There is still one problem (but on KDevelop side):
> > in the filesystem tool in the RMB menu all actions from plugins are added
> > once
> > more if the menu gets shown, so by the time appear x times. Alexander, at
> > Akademy you said you have a fix for this, but I still see this with what
> > I get
> > if I compile the kdevplatform 1.0 and kdevelop 4.0 branches. Strangely
> > enough
> > the KDevelop (1.0.0, 4.0.0) I use here on (K)Ubuntu does not have this
> > problem. Will this be ixed in 4.0.2/1.0.x? Could I help?
> >
> > Some blog blabla for more background:
> >
> > http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/okteta-going-for-kdevelop-and-ka
> > te/
> > http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/akademy-development-catalysator
> > /
> >
> > Cheers
> > Friedrich
> > --
> > KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta
> >
> > --
>
> Since we don't want to have oktetalibs installed as a kdevelop dependency,

You mean both hard and optionally dependency?

> I guess the best would be that you install kdevelop support together with
> Okteta and KDevelop will detect that automatically.

Given that I can't add that to SC 4.5 and that there will be multiple KDevelop
releases with incompatible plugin versions in the meantime... sorry, don't
agree that this is the best :)

> You can release the KDevelop plugin separately also, what would you prefer
> to do?

Hm, what would packagers prefer? How do you (plan to) handle plugins for
QtDesigner, KDiff/Kompare and others which depend on other libs? Will there be
some KDevelop-Addon module, next to KDevPlatform and KDevelop? That is what I
would prefer to have the plugin in. Could be the starting plugin for that
module?
Where else do you consider all the stuff to end which is currently in