Movingranges branch

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Aug 7 06:11:33 UTC 2010

On 07.08.10 07:34:03, Niko Sams wrote:
> Keep in mind that more (active) branches mean more work. Especially if it's not
> that easy to merge between them.
> So I vote for creating a 4.1 branch, discontinuing 4.0 branch and
> merging movingrange
> into master. That way we have the same number of branches, do the same
> merges and
> still have a new release.

At least I didn't intend to say that 4.0, 4.1 and master should be
'maintained'. Of course it would be nice if people do fixes that apply
to 4.0 in 4.0, but this is not really something that KDE ever did, so
its fine if people base bugfixing on 4.1 and feature-work on master I
think.

> But where merge Milian's multiplelanguages branch? Maybe 4.1 so we can
> have a first
> Quanta release that depends on KDE 4.4.

I'd say that it depends on when Milian thinks Quanta is ready for a
release. If thats not going to happen before beginning of last year,
then it might make more sense to merge it into master so it can
stabilize instead of potentially breaking a 'super-stable' 4.1 release.

> Oh, is there planned to keep an stable API/ABI for kdevplatform at
> some point? The decision
> for a 4.2 should not influence that...

I think at some point there has to be a freeze of the API for
kdevplatform, not doing it means nobody gets a stable platform to
develop against and distro's have to constantly rebuild all packages
using the libs. Maybe a step-by-step process is good here, that is
freeze only certain classes that we're sure won't change anymore/have a
good API, this way we could progressively end up at a stage where
all/almost all classes are frozen and we can declare the ABI stable.

You are fighting for survival in your own sweet and gentle way.