Movingranges branch

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Aug 7 11:01:27 UTC 2010

On Saturday 07 August 2010 08:11:33 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 07.08.10 07:34:03, Niko Sams wrote:
> > Keep in mind that more (active) branches mean more work. Especially if
> > it's not that easy to merge between them.
> > So I vote for creating a 4.1 branch, discontinuing 4.0 branch and
> > merging movingrange
> > into master. That way we have the same number of branches, do the same
> > merges and
> > still have a new release.
>
> At least I didn't intend to say that 4.0, 4.1 and master should be
> 'maintained'. Of course it would be nice if people do fixes that apply
> to 4.0 in 4.0, but this is not really something that KDE ever did, so
> its fine if people base bugfixing on 4.1 and feature-work on master I
> think.

Yes, that's what I thought as well. Lets keep one "stable" branch and one
"master" branch.

> > But where merge Milian's multiplelanguages branch? Maybe 4.1 so we can
> > have a first
> > Quanta release that depends on KDE 4.4.
>
> I'd say that it depends on when Milian thinks Quanta is ready for a
> release. If thats not going to happen before beginning of last year,
> then it might make more sense to merge it into master so it can
> stabilize instead of potentially breaking a 'super-stable' 4.1 release.

No, lets give it some more time. I'm not confident enough with rushing it in.

> > Oh, is there planned to keep an stable API/ABI for kdevplatform at
> > some point? The decision
> > for a 4.2 should not influence that...
>
> I think at some point there has to be a freeze of the API for
> kdevplatform, not doing it means nobody gets a stable platform to
> develop against and distro's have to constantly rebuild all packages
> using the libs. Maybe a step-by-step process is good here, that is
> freeze only certain classes that we're sure won't change anymore/have a
> good API, this way we could progressively end up at a stage where
> all/almost all classes are frozen and we can declare the ABI stable.

Imo this simply cannot happen before we spent (considerable?) time on an API
review. I do some drive-by-fixing of the API here and there, but many aspects
are still not really good in my eyes.

Maybe next year sometime? Definitely nothing for 4.1 or 4.2 though, just look
at the ABI changes in multilang branches...
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de