Movingranges branch

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 05:34:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 23:18, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> On Friday 06 August 2010 23:10:05 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> On 06.08.10 20:14:59, Milian Wolff wrote:
>> > (not quoting since KDE 4.5 RC3 KMail's quoting is broken :))
>> >
>> > Squeeze is the
>> > next stable Debian release. I personally think many institutions like
>> > Universities use it, as probably do a few businesses. Both are imo right
>> > in the middle of our targeted user base.
>> >
>> > Furthermore you should be aware that
>> > even now KDevelop master has quite a few additions and bigger fixes than
>> > 4.0. And I use it all day long, it's very stable (even more so than the
>> > current stable branch maybe?).
>> >
>> > This alone
>> > would imo qualify for a release. If you all think that we should ignore
>> > Debian than ok, lets do that and concentrate on a 4.1 with a hard KDE 4.5
>> > dependency.
>> >
>> > Though to make it really clear: I personally would prefer
>> > releasing a 4.1 that works without KDE 4.5, and instead discontinue the
>> > current stable branch.
>>
>> Dunno how much my opinion still matters (as I basically don't work on the
>> code anymore or even use kdevelop), but I'm with Matt here
>
> I at least still value your opinion highly. See yourself as a consultant :)
>
>> its IMHO a
>> lot better to do a 4.1 release in maybe 2 months based on KDE4.3 (or
>> maybe even 4.4 to get rid of some backward compat stuff) and then
>> concentrate on getting 4.5+ support in and stabilized. Right now 4.0 and
>> master are really close together, which makes merging fixes really easy
>> and which means that 4.1 will be seen as a really good improvement over
>> 4.0.
>>
>> One thing I've learned in the past 4 years from Qt releases is that its
>> useful to put in a minor release for stabilization/small
>> improvements/speedups after huge changes, users will be very thankful
>> for that, much more thankful than for a new shining feature thats only
>> usable for 5 minutes because it has instabilities.
>>
>> You could even say that feature-development stops in 2-4 weeks for 4.1,
>> then branch off for stabilization and then merge movingranges to master
>> for 4.2. That way you'd have lots of time to stabilize it.
>
> Exactly what I think as well. We can easily branch of 4.1 and do a first beta
> release in no time, keeping master open for merging. And again: I personally
> would be perfectly fine with releasing 4.2 == 4.1 for KDE 4.5 and higher soon
> afterwards.
Keep in mind that more (active) branches mean more work. Especially if it's not
that easy to merge between them.
So I vote for creating a 4.1 branch, discontinuing 4.0 branch and
merging movingrange
into master. That way we have the same number of branches, do the same
merges and
still have a new release.

But where merge Milian's multiplelanguages branch? Maybe 4.1 so we can
have a first
Quanta release that depends on KDE 4.4.

Oh, is there planned to keep an stable API/ABI for kdevplatform at
some point? The decision
for a 4.2 should not influence that...

Niko