Draft: Release announcement

Paul Fee pfee at talk21.com
Thu Apr 22 11:54:22 UTC 2010

Milian Wolff wrote:

> Andreas Pakulat, 22.04.2010:
>> On 22.04.10 00:41:25, Aleix Pol wrote:

>> > First of all, thanks for working on that :)
>> >
>> > Are you sure we want to mix both PHP and KDevelop that much?
>> > Maybe another entry would be appropiate for the PHP support alone. I
>> > think that adding the PHP part in the introducion (1st paragraph) can
>> > be misleading/distracting (showing that we might have changed our path
>> > or something like that, which i don't think it is the case). The real
>> > news is that KDevelop4 is out, PHP support is one of its consequences.
>>
>> I actually agree and had problems integrating a bit for PHP into the
>> text too.
>>
>> @Milian: What do you think about posting a release announcement for PHP
>> separately on May 2nd on the dot? (or evening of May 1st, not sure
>> wether dot-editors have any kind of policy on that). If you can finish
>> up the writing I can put it into the dot-form and ping the editors...
>
> I'm perfectly fine with that. And I myself thought the sections don't fit
> that well together, since I essentially have to repeat what you already
> wrote for CPP (since most of that is applicable to PHP as well).
>
> We could even say that both, Cpp and PHP have these features and strike
> the whole PHP specific block maybe?
>
> Niko, what do you say? Do we need to be so much in the limelight and have
> our own release article?
>
> Another point: When we strike the PHP section, we would have a bit more
> place and could mention some more features. Like e.g. the fact that we
> support multiple projects at the same time. Imo many people that knew
> KDev3 really like this feature.
>
> And I think we could also have a short paragraph on things we are planning
> to do? Though here I'm not sure: If we list any new cool features the
> users will whine until they are there ;-)
>
>> > Maybe we could consider using 1st person ("we think" instead of "I
>> > think"), but that depends a lot on if you want to make it like a letter
>> > from the maintainer or a team note. (I'm not against a maintainer
>> > letter, of course).
>>
>> I don't have a preference for either, but when writing something like
>> this I do have a problem sticking with one version :)
>
> Imo he can write 'I' as the author, e.g.: 'I want to mention one more
> thing'. But whenever talking about code / features / bla always use 'we'
> since it's mostly the team that did these changes.

Hi all,

I'm really looking forward to the stable release.

Some minor grammatical comments:

1:
Since the announcement is from the KDevelop hackers, don't use "I" as you're
speaking for the team, e.g.
"and I think its actually easier than in KDevelop3"

2:
"its actually easier"
Change to:
"it's actually easier

3:
"KDevelop allows to jump to the errors in the code."
Change to:
"KDevelop allows users to jump to the errors in the code."

4:
"it allows to navigate in the Qt documentation"
Change to:
"it allows users to navigate in the Qt documentation"

5:
"so I've created a dedicates blog entry"
Change to:
"So we have a dedicated blog entry"

Well done to you all in advance of the 4.0 release.

Thanks,
Paul