Draft: Release announcement

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Apr 22 09:15:29 UTC 2010

Andreas Pakulat, 22.04.2010:
> On 22.04.10 00:41:25, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > The attached file is what I have right now, hope the placeholders are
> > > understandable for everybody. Please comment.
> > >
> > > I'm planning to do some screenshots for KDevelop over the weekend and
> > > put them together into a blog entry on Sunday before posting the
> > > dot-article. I'd like to ask Niko and Milian to send in a few for PHP
> > > support (and php-docs) and everybody else is invited too to take that
> > > off my shoulders ;)
> >
> > First of all, thanks for working on that :)
> >
> > Are you sure we want to mix both PHP and KDevelop that much?
> > Maybe another entry would be appropiate for the PHP support alone. I
> > think that adding the PHP part in the introducion (1st paragraph) can be
> > misleading/distracting (showing that we might have changed our path or
> > something like that, which i don't think it is the case). The real news
> > is that KDevelop4 is out, PHP support is one of its consequences.
>
> I actually agree and had problems integrating a bit for PHP into the
> text too.
>
> @Milian: What do you think about posting a release announcement for PHP
> separately on May 2nd on the dot? (or evening of May 1st, not sure
> wether dot-editors have any kind of policy on that). If you can finish
> up the writing I can put it into the dot-form and ping the editors...

I'm perfectly fine with that. And I myself thought the sections don't fit that
well together, since I essentially have to repeat what you already wrote for
CPP (since most of that is applicable to PHP as well).

We could even say that both, Cpp and PHP have these features and strike the
whole PHP specific block maybe?

Niko, what do you say? Do we need to be so much in the limelight and have our
own release article?

Another point: When we strike the PHP section, we would have a bit more place
and could mention some more features. Like e.g. the fact that we support
multiple projects at the same time. Imo many people that knew KDev3 really
like this feature.

And I think we could also have a short paragraph on things we are planning to
do? Though here I'm not sure: If we list any new cool features the users will
whine until they are there ;-)

> > Maybe we could consider using 1st person ("we think" instead of "I
> > think"), but that depends a lot on if you want to make it like a letter
> > from the maintainer or a team note. (I'm not against a maintainer
> > letter, of course).
>
> I don't have a preference for either, but when writing something like
> this I do have a problem sticking with one version :)

Imo he can write 'I' as the author, e.g.: 'I want to mention one more thing'.
But whenever talking about code / features / bla always use 'we' since it's
mostly the team that did these changes.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de