Extreme display corruption

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Sep 14 12:26:52 UTC 2009

On 09/14/2009 02:20 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras, 14.09.2009:
>> Something in my system makes KDevelop unable to display anything, and
>> when it does, widgets are simply flashing for a bit and then gone again.
>>    I've tried versions from 3.9.93 to latest SVN.
>>
>> Basically, it looks like this:
>>
>>     http://imagebin.ca/view/3jS9RoVj.html
>>
>> During start-up, KDevelop spits these out:
>>
>>     [...]
>>
>> And then after loading, if I move the mouse and widgets start flashing
>> in and out, tons of the following are shown:
>>
>>     [...]
>>
>> etc, etc, ad infinitum.
>>
>> Any hints on how to track this down?  No other application (KDE or not)
>> has this problem.
>
> What Qt version do you use? What graphic driver?

Qt 4.5.2.  AMD Catalyst 9.9 on a Radeon HD4870.  Kernel 2.6.30.5,
x86-64.  Gentoo AMD64.

> Does the problem persist with window effects on/off?

Yes.

> What happens if you start another application with the `--graphicssystem
> raster` parameter - does that also mess up things?

Yes.  So I guess KDE default is to *not* use raster.  I think it's a bad
idea for KDevelop to not follow whatever is the default on the user's
system.

> Other than that, I really doubt this is anything we in KDevelop mess up. More
> looks like a driver problem.

Running "kdevelop -graphicssystem native" fixes all issues.  "opengl"
instead of "native" also works much better than "raster" (with still a
few glitches left).

With all things considered, I don't think KDevelop should use raster on
it's own; IMHO that's a choice the user should make; apps should follow
the default unless the user says otherwise.