Extreme display corruption

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Sep 14 12:41:58 UTC 2009

On 14.09.09 15:26:52, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 09/14/2009 02:20 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras, 14.09.2009:
>> What happens if you start another application with the `--graphicssystem
>> raster` parameter - does that also mess up things?
>
> Yes.  So I guess KDE default is to *not* use raster.  I think it's a bad
> idea for KDevelop to not follow whatever is the default on the user's
> system.

The default is Qt's choice, not KDE's. And with "native" KDevelop is simply
unusable. As "opengl" only works well with accelerated graphics, "raster" is
the only good choice. And as I said so far all of us using that engine have
no problems with Qt4.5.2 and later, so this is a new bug you should report
to the Qt developers.

> With all things considered, I don't think KDevelop should use raster on
> it's own; IMHO that's a choice the user should make; apps should follow
> the default unless the user says otherwise.

Except if the default makes the app in question unusable. We want to
provide a nice experience from the start, without the User having to dig up
some obscure cmdline option.

You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
be sold.