Commit dialog

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Sep 10 11:22:02 UTC 2009

Andreas Pakulat, 10.09.2009:
> On 10.09.09 11:47:05, David Nolden wrote:
> > Hi, am I the only one who thinks that the commit-dialog is sub-ideal?
>
> No.
>
> > A) The "Files" list is too narrow, and shows hundreds of totally
> > unrelated files (backup files etc.), so I can hardly find what I'm really
> > about to commit
>
> Adding a sort so the checked items are at the top is not a big problem.
>
> > B) After reviewing the patch, I tend to forget the exact details needed
> > for the commit-message as soon as I see the modal dialog.
>
> Review and commit dialog definetly need more integration.
>
> > I think a non-modal solution would be much better. So here my idea:
> > When you push "Commit",
>
> You mean "commit" as in the context menu action, right?
>
> > patch-review is started, with a line-edit in the
> > patch-review plugin to enter the commit message while reviewing,
>
> I hope you mean text-edit, a line-edit is not sufficient for decent commit
> messages.
>
> > with checkboxes next to the changed files to select the files that should
> > be committed, and with a "Commit" button instead of the "Finish Review"
> > button.
>
> Sounds fine.
>
> > The only problem would be that you could not commit files that are not
> > part of svn. But I anyway think we should rather have an "Add to
> > SVN"-like action in the  mecontextnu for those cases. What do you think?
>
> I object to this part. I use that all the time (well not in kdevelop, but
> in eclipse). I hate to manually add the files to svn, not to mention that I
> usually just forget it. But when reviewing a patch I see #include
> <somenewfile> and often recall that I needed to select that file to be
> added. As I said, no problem grouping the files in the list into "selected"
> and "unselected".

Wouldn't it be possible to show only edited fand untracked files? Why would I
want to see a file that is not changed at all and already in SVN?

Additionally it would be important to honor the svn:ignore settings. That way
unrelated diffs, patches, backup files will not be added to the list. At least
not when the user properly excludes them.
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de