Commit dialog

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Sep 10 09:56:48 UTC 2009

On 10.09.09 11:47:05, David Nolden wrote:
> Hi, am I the only one who thinks that the commit-dialog is sub-ideal?

No.

> A) The "Files" list is too narrow, and shows hundreds of totally unrelated
> files (backup files etc.), so I can hardly find what I'm really about to
> commit

Adding a sort so the checked items are at the top is not a big problem.

> B) After reviewing the patch, I tend to forget the exact details needed for
> the commit-message as soon as I see the modal dialog.

Review and commit dialog definetly need more integration.

> I think a non-modal solution would be much better. So here my idea:
> When you push "Commit",

You mean "commit" as in the context menu action, right?

> patch-review is started, with a line-edit in the
> patch-review plugin to enter the commit message while reviewing,

I hope you mean text-edit, a line-edit is not sufficient for decent commit
messages.

> with checkboxes next to the changed files to select the files that should
> be committed, and with a "Commit" button instead of the "Finish Review"
> button.

Sounds fine.

> The only problem would be that you could not commit files that are not part of
> svn. But I anyway think we should rather have an "Add to SVN"-like action in
> the  mecontextnu for those cases. What do you think?

I object to this part. I use that all the time (well not in kdevelop, but
in eclipse). I hate to manually add the files to svn, not to mention that I
usually just forget it. But when reviewing a patch I see #include
<somenewfile> and often recall that I needed to select that file to be
added. As I said, no problem grouping the files in the list into "selected"
and "unselected".

You will be singled out for promotion in your work.