Commit dialog

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Sep 10 09:47:05 UTC 2009

Hi, am I the only one who thinks that the commit-dialog is sub-ideal?

A) The "Files" list is too narrow, and shows hundreds of totally unrelated
files (backup files etc.), so I can hardly find what I'm really about to
commit
B) After reviewing the patch, I tend to forget the exact details needed for
the commit-message as soon as I see the modal dialog.

I think a non-modal solution would be much better. So here my idea:
When you push "Commit", patch-review is started, with a line-edit in the
patch-review plugin to enter the commit message while reviewing, with
checkboxes next to the changed files to select the files that should be
committed, and with a "Commit" button instead of the "Finish Review" button.

The only problem would be that you could not commit files that are not part of
svn. But I anyway think we should rather have an "Add to SVN"-like action in
the  mecontextnu for those cases. What do you think?

Greetings, David