KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 16:33:26 UTC 2009

On 09.11.09 17:38:29, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Monday 09 November 2009 15:20:21 David Nolden wrote:
> > - When KDevelop is started without any parameters, it is started with a
> >  new  empty session and a start-screen that contains all known sessions.
> >  Now the user can either do free editing, can load some random project
> >  thereby defining a new session, or load one of the existing sessions (for
> >  example through the start-screen).
> >

> Please skip the start screen and use the last session (or an empty one if no
> last session is available). That will be how a lot of people will work. Then
> put session switching in a menu somewhere.

Thats how it works right now, however IMHO we shouldn't ever present the
user with a "main area" thats just grey (or whatever your widget-background
color is). If there are no open documents in a loaded session then we
should present the start page that Dan has created a loooong time ago.

> Otherwise we will get that popup in the middle of a relatively long
> wait-for-loading, making the perceived loading twice and long, plus
> annoying the user with a popup.

Not sure what you mean here, nobody has to wait for something after the
mainwindow is visible. Especially if you have documents opened from your
last usage you can start working directly.

You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.