KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Mon Nov 9 17:05:10 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 17:33:26 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Please skip the start screen and use the last session (or an empty one if
> > no  last session is available). That will be how a lot of people will
> > work. Then put session switching in a menu somewhere.
>
> Thats how it works right now, however IMHO we shouldn't ever present the
> user with a "main area" thats just grey (or whatever your widget-background
> color is). If there are no open documents in a loaded session then we
> should present the start page that Dan has created a loooong time ago.

Personally, I prefer the blank screen, but that startup screen is, as far as I
recall, is also fine, and is certainly how other IDEs do it. So great! As long
as you don't get a dialog in your face it's cool (ie, don't do like Qt's
designer! :)

> > Otherwise we will get that popup in the middle of a relatively long
> > wait-for-loading, making the perceived loading twice and long, plus
> > annoying the user with a popup.
>
> Not sure what you mean here, nobody has to wait for something after the
> mainwindow is visible. Especially if you have documents opened from your
> last usage you can start working directly.

Ok, I thought you had to chose which session to restore before a session would
be restored. If that was the case, there would be a fairly long wait from
there. Sorry!

--
Kind regards, Esben