KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 12:56:57 UTC 2009

On 09.11.09 10:00:59, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Sonntag 08 November 2009 16:42:49 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > SVN commit 1046382 by apaku:
> >
> > For newbie users its better to re-open projects, so change the default to
> >  true.
>
> The problem is that the loading of large projects is still very slow with
> cmake. Consider for example kdebase, which needs about a minute. When the user
> edited kdebase and then starts kdevelop in order to do something else, from
> the users perspective kdevelop will be doing some strange useless stuff for
> about a minute.

Apparently its currently far too easy for _us_ to "avoid" this problem
instead of diving in and fixing it. So I welcome adding some pressure.
Having said that, apparently the problem is half FindKDE4Internal.cmake and
half FindQt4.cmake, i.e. pure-qt4 projects are faster than kde4 projects
and pure-cmake non-qt4 projects are again much faster to open (all very
small sample projects).

> I'd rather prefer having a 'well defined' but less convenient default
> behavior, rather than one that is convenient in some cases (small projects),
> but confusing in other ones.
>
> Ultimately though, we need to manage the set of opened projects through proper
> session-management, but it's in question whether that will be done in time for
> KDev 4.0.

We actually do store the opened projects in the session _right now_ (There
might be bugs, specially I'm not sure we do close and re-open the stored
project list). The only thing that might not be "dead-easy" is finding and
switching the session, but I have to admit that I don't find the
kate-session-dialog that comes up on its first start very easy either.
Especially for first-time-usage we shouldn't put in such obstacles.

Do not overtax your powers.