KDE/kdevplatform/shell

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:20:21 UTC 2009

Am Montag 09 November 2009 13:56:57 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> We actually do store the opened projects in the session _right now_ (There
> might be bugs, specially I'm not sure we do close and re-open the stored
> project list). The only thing that might not be "dead-easy" is finding and
> switching the session, but I have to admit that I don't find the
> kate-session-dialog that comes up on its first start very easy either.
> Especially for first-time-usage we shouldn't put in such obstacles.

I think we should define a session as a set of projects. The whole thing would
work best like this:

- When KDevelop is started without any parameters, it is started with a new
empty session and a start-screen that contains all known sessions. Now the
user can either do free editing, can load some random project thereby defining
a new session, or load one of the existing sessions (for example through the
start-screen).
- When the user tries to load a project that already is part of a known
session, a dialog should pop up asking "The project is already part of session
X, load the session instead?" and if he answers yes, the session should be
loaded instead of adding the project to the current session.

Session-loading should be implemented through closing+opening kdevelop with
the new session, so we can ultimately also put the duchain data into the
session.

The problem is that I'm not familar with the whole session stuff, so of course
it would be ideal if you could do the basic stuff. But I find it important
enough to consider trying to do this by myself if you don't find time for it
before 4.0.

Greetings, David