automatic area switching

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 08:14:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 08:46, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 25.06.09 07:06:56, Niko Sams wrote:
> > I'd like to implement automatic area switching for the debugger.
> >
> > 1. How can I switch an area?
> > IUiController::switchToArea creates always a new MainWindow, and
> > showArea is not in the interface.
>
> Alex would have a definitive answer, but I think we should just have a
> config option to mload new areas in the same or a new window and
> switchToArea should obey that config option.
There is such a parameter, it's just not implemented.
The solution is obvious :D

> > 2. switch back:
> > - should we switch back?
>
> Yes/No :) Not switching back means less flickering/auto-changing Ui, which
> is good for inexperienced users as they're not scared away because the
> machine seems to do strange things all on its own.
>
> However for people used to the switching its always annoying having to
> switch back manually.
>
> > - if so - when?
> > It could be done when the debug session ended. However the user won't
> > see the output in the Debug Tool View then.
> > So it's probably best to leave switching back to the user.
>
> I assume you mean GDB? I'm not sure how useful that is once the session has
> ended. I mean most of the problems for which you need the output from there
> are happening during the session.
No, I mean the tool view where the application output goes to. It
_might_ contain useful
output.

> I think we could have an option for fully-automatic perspective switching,
> just make sure to use a stack inside the uicontroller to keep track of the
> last-used-session :)
And add something like IUiController::switchToPreviousArea()?
I think it's easier to remember the previous area in the DebugSession
- no need for a stack.
(however a method for getting the active area is needed for that)

> > 3. (different topic) making the editor ready only during debugging.
> > - do we want this?
>
> Why would we? I mean I know about the problem with moving breakpoints, but
> that IMHO doesn't warrant making the editor read-only.
ok, then forget about it...

Niko