automatic area switching

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 25 08:33:47 UTC 2009

On 25.06.09 10:14:56, Niko Sams wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 08:46, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > 2. switch back:
> > > - should we switch back?
> >
> > Yes/No :) Not switching back means less flickering/auto-changing Ui, which
> > is good for inexperienced users as they're not scared away because the
> > machine seems to do strange things all on its own.
> >
> > However for people used to the switching its always annoying having to
> > switch back manually.
> >
> > > - if so - when?
> > > It could be done when the debug session ended. However the user won't
> > > see the output in the Debug Tool View then.
> > > So it's probably best to leave switching back to the user.
> >
> > I assume you mean GDB? I'm not sure how useful that is once the session has
> > ended. I mean most of the problems for which you need the output from there
> > are happening during the session.
> No, I mean the tool view where the application output goes to. It
> _might_ contain useful
> output.

Hmm, right. I'd like to hear more opinions about the switch back vs. not
switch back, but if we decide to automatically switch back we could have a
way of showing a certain toolviews in all areas...

> > I think we could have an option for fully-automatic perspective switching,
> > just make sure to use a stack inside the uicontroller to keep track of the
> > last-used-session :)
> And add something like IUiController::switchToPreviousArea()?
> I think it's easier to remember the previous area in the DebugSession
> - no need for a stack.

I suggest not to do that. The previous state should be stored in whatever
place is doing switching. I've just recently had to do similar things in
Eclipse and its a nightmare to do it from outside the actual code that
switches perspectives.

Never commit yourself!  Let someone else commit you.