Code-completion icons

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 19:35:46 UTC 2009

On 16.07.09 21:06:33, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 16 Juli 2009 20:47:55 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 16.07.09 19:53:38, David Nolden wrote:
> > > There seems to be an official 'class' icon in KDE now
> >
> > In trunk/kdesupport/oxygen-icons, yes.
> >
> > >, that is also picked up by kdevelop. The problem is that it does not
> > >match with all the other code completion icons from our 'mini'
> > >subdirectory,
> >
> > Those are supposed to be dropped, when the new versions are done. I'm
> > not up-to-date on the status (see the kdevelop-icons.ods document in
> > playground/artwork/Oxygen/docs/
> And until then we are supposed to see an inconsistent ugly mix of totally
> differently looking icons?

There's no other option, except renaming the icon in kdevelop and adjust
all code and then again renaming it when the set is done.

> We should use the working set until the new set is done.

IMHO we should use the new icons as soon as they're available as a
release. The current iconset is completely inconsistent as well as
various people worked on different icons in different times, there's no
real theme.

If you want Pino to complete the class-related icons (for fields and
access) as next, please tell him to do so. Else he'll just pick his own
order.

> > > for example 'private class' etc., also I think it's
> > >generally slightly too colorful.
> > >
> > > I think for now we should make sure that all the completion icons have a
> > > consistent and familiar look. If we want to change them, we should change
> > > them all at once in a consistent way.
> >
> > Please discuss this with Pino and the other artists on their list.
> I have no time to worry about that. I need to use KDevelop to be productive.

Then you're not obliged to complain about the icons look. Sorry, either
you want to work with the artists or not. If not then you'll have to
accept what they produce or create your own icon theme.

> > > So anyone has an idea how to force KDE to pick up the icons from our
> > > "mini" directory, instead of the KDE icon?
> >
> > We're not going to. When Pino is done with the icons mini will be
> > deleted.
> I have to oppose here. We should only delete 'mini' if the new icons are
> actually better then the old ones, which remains to be seen.

They are by definition better because they integrate into the desktop
experience of KDE4. The point of getting new icons is not "to get new
icons" but to get a fresh look that integrates nicely with the other
icons the user sees. The current icons in KDevelop look totally
out-of-place (mostly) if compared to the oxygen iconset.

> The artists are not programmers, so in order to create a really usable set of
> icons, it would require one of us developers actively working together with
> the artists, to create a complete set of well-usable icons.

Thats what I'm trying to do when Pino has questions, feel free to add
your own thoughts on it.

> Since I don't see anyone doing that,

Well, then you need to look closer. Also the odt document hasn't
magically written itself.

> IMO the artists should just leave the well-working code-completion icons alone
> for now, and better care about the missing icons for the rest of the user-
> interface (toolbars etc.), which is enough work already.

Then look at the document and provide a ordered todo list to Pino, I'm
not going to do that as I don't see us using the oxygen set until at
least kdevelop4.1 because there won't be a oxygen-icons release before
that that includes all of our icons.

So this is it.  We're going to die.