Code-completion icons

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Jul 16 20:02:53 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag 16 Juli 2009 21:35:46 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> There's no other option, except renaming the icon in kdevelop and adjust
> all code and then again renaming it when the set is done.
>
> > We should use the working set until the new set is done.
>
> IMHO we should use the new icons as soon as they're available as a
> release. The current iconset is completely inconsistent as well as
> various people worked on different icons in different times, there's no
> real theme.
The icons seem to nearly exactly equal the icons used in all other IDE's that
I have seen screenshots from, so they seem consistent enough.

> > I have no time to worry about that. I need to use KDevelop to be
> > productive.
>
> Then you're not obliged to complain about the icons look. Sorry, either
> you want to work with the artists or not. If not then you'll have to
> accept what they produce or create your own icon theme.
I just want things to not get broken in a second I look away.

> > > We're not going to. When Pino is done with the icons mini will be
> > > deleted.
> >
> > I have to oppose here. We should only delete 'mini' if the new icons are
> > actually better then the old ones, which remains to be seen.
>
> They are by definition better because they integrate into the desktop
> experience of KDE4. The point of getting new icons is not "to get new
> icons" but to get a fresh look that integrates nicely with the other
> icons the user sees. The current icons in KDevelop look totally
> out-of-place (mostly) if compared to the oxygen iconset.
The considerations for the completion list are different from the rest of the
UI. It is not a classical UI element, and the icons don't need to look "oxygen
like". The only important thing is that they are not annoying as the user sees
them all the time popping up in front of him, and they have to allow an easy
association of the underlying concept. Of course they can look pretty, but the
other parts are more important.

The current icon set seems to meet these requirements, while the new 'class'
icon feels too colorful (thus IMO annoying), and takes a bit too much focus.

Also since most other IDEs use the same icons, they will already have fixed
associations to many programmers, and thus it would be advantageous stick to
their general design.

Well maybe I can get used to it. I feel myself slowly starting to like the new
class icon more then the old one. But I still don't like the thought of
randomly popping up new icons created by artists that have not been designed
and tested for the specific usecase (completion list). And that's why IMO
these completion list icons belong into kdevelop/pics so they can be managed
by us.

Greetings, David