Code-completion icons

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Jul 16 19:06:33 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag 16 Juli 2009 20:47:55 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 16.07.09 19:53:38, David Nolden wrote:
> > There seems to be an official 'class' icon in KDE now
>
> In trunk/kdesupport/oxygen-icons, yes.
>
> >, that is also picked up by kdevelop. The problem is that it does not
> >match with all the other code completion icons from our 'mini'
> >subdirectory,
>
> Those are supposed to be dropped, when the new versions are done. I'm
> not up-to-date on the status (see the kdevelop-icons.ods document in
> playground/artwork/Oxygen/docs/
And until then we are supposed to see an inconsistent ugly mix of totally
differently looking icons?

We should use the working set until the new set is done.

> > for example 'private class' etc., also I think it's
> >generally slightly too colorful.
> >
> > I think for now we should make sure that all the completion icons have a
> > consistent and familiar look. If we want to change them, we should change
> > them all at once in a consistent way.
>
> Please discuss this with Pino and the other artists on their list.
I have no time to worry about that. I need to use KDevelop to be productive.

> > So anyone has an idea how to force KDE to pick up the icons from our
> > "mini" directory, instead of the KDE icon?
>
> We're not going to. When Pino is done with the icons mini will be
> deleted.
I have to oppose here. We should only delete 'mini' if the new icons are
actually better then the old ones, which remains to be seen.

The artists are not programmers, so in order to create a really usable set of
icons, it would require one of us developers actively working together with
the artists, to create a complete set of well-usable icons.

Since I don't see anyone doing that, I don't believe that we will have a
usable and complete new code-completion icon set until the KDevelop 4.0
release.

IMO the artists should just leave the well-working code-completion icons alone
for now, and better care about the missing icons for the rest of the user-
interface (toolbars etc.), which is enough work already.

Greetings, David