[patch] port of the kpim progresswidget

Manuel Breugelmans mbr.nxi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 09:46:52 UTC 2009

On Thursday 01 January 2009 20:07:05 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 31.12.08 10:36:58, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached is a quick port of the kdepim progressdialog to KDevelop.
> > Personally I quite like how it feels ... For now only IStatus stuff is
> > taken into consideration but it could be turned into a replacement for
> > the 'Stop Jobs' button as well.
> >
> > If this is indeed what we want then I'll clean, test & polish the patch.
> > Might even be moved to kdelibs at some point to reduce duplication.
>
> Hmm, a couple of questions:
>
> - how does this look with progress that doesn't/can't use percentages

It goes in indeterminate mode whenever one of the sub-progress bars don't use
percentages.

> - can we remove the progressbar in the status area and replace it with just
>   a busy indicator
> - how much work is it to make this into a jobtrackerinterface connected to
>   runcontroller::registeredjob so all jobs are automatically added

This should be quite trivial. Simply create a ProgressItem and connect the
job's signals.

> - does the overlay automatically hide when moving the cursor out of it, or
>   just when clicking anywhere else in the gui

Currently neither. It has two modes: show & hide overlay. To switch between
them one has to click the progressbar. One small change I made is that it does
not pop-up by default whenever new tasks are registered (the kpim-one does)

> I didn't have a really close look at the implementation, but one thing I
> noticed that I didn't like very much: It doesn't use model/view, but
> instead kinda implements its own model/view (as far as I could see).

Yes, QXYZItemModel is not used. Model an view are separated though in
ProgressItem+ProgressManager and ProgressDialog+ProgressWidget. I'm not sure
it's worth the effort to change that but I suppose it could be done.

Manuel