[patch] port of the kpim progresswidget

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jan 2 11:08:50 UTC 2009

On 02.01.09 10:46:52, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009 20:07:05 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > - can we remove the progressbar in the status area and replace it with just
> >   a busy indicator
> > - how much work is it to make this into a jobtrackerinterface connected to
> >   runcontroller::registeredjob so all jobs are automatically added
>
> This should be quite trivial. Simply create a ProgressItem and connect the
> job's signals.

I'll need to have a look later today and check wether ProgressItem offers
all we need (adding/removing, description, progress, possibly info/warning
messages) but we can probably add that.

> > - does the overlay automatically hide when moving the cursor out of it, or
> >   just when clicking anywhere else in the gui
>
> Currently neither. It has two modes: show & hide overlay. To switch between
> them one has to click the progressbar. One small change I made is that it does
> not pop-up by default whenever new tasks are registered (the kpim-one does)

I think we need the automatic hiding when focussing something else in the
window. Or make the overlay widget a toolview instead. Would make
auto-hiding work instantly, but probably needs the extension of Sublime to
force showing a particular toolview (IIRC there's no API for that yet).

> > I didn't have a really close look at the implementation, but one thing I
> > noticed that I didn't like very much: It doesn't use model/view, but
> > instead kinda implements its own model/view (as far as I could see).
>
> Yes, QXYZItemModel is not used. Model an view are separated though in
> ProgressItem+ProgressManager and ProgressDialog+ProgressWidget. I'm not sure
> it's worth the effort to change that but I suppose it could be done.

I'll have a closer look at the code later, that should give me a better
idea of how much 'model/view management code' is in there which could be
removed with a Qt interview implementation. Anyway, as I said to Matt
already, thats not a major issue right now :)

Do nothing unless you must, and when you must act -- hesitate.