[patch] port of the kpim progresswidget

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jan 2 00:37:59 UTC 2009

On 01.01.09 15:42:53, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009 01:07:05 pm Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 31.12.08 10:36:58, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Attached is a quick port of the kdepim progressdialog to KDevelop.
> > > Personally I quite like how it feels ... For now only IStatus stuff is
> > > taken into consideration but it could be turned into a replacement for
> > > the 'Stop Jobs' button as well.
> > >
> > > If this is indeed what we want then I'll clean, test & polish the patch.
> > > Might even be moved to kdelibs at some point to reduce duplication.
> >
> > Hmm, a couple of questions:
> >
> > - how does this look with progress that doesn't/can't use percentages
>
> the bar should just move back and forth, IIRC.

I meant if there are two progresses: one for the parser which has percent
information and one for opening a project, which doesn't. How does the
aggregated bar look like then?

> > - how much work is it to make this into a jobtrackerinterface connected to
> >   runcontroller::registeredjob so all jobs are automatically added
>
> > - does the overlay automatically hide when moving the cursor out of it, or
> >   just when clicking anywhere else in the gui
> >

> i'm sure it behaves exactly like the progress bar implementation that kmail
> has,

I'm sure it does, but I don't have any kmail around to try out, thats why I
asked.

> > I didn't have a really close look at the implementation, but one thing I
> > noticed that I didn't like very much: It doesn't use model/view, but
> > instead kinda implements its own model/view (as far as I could see).
>
> so? why is not using model/view a problem?

The problem is that this adds code that needs to be maintained or merged
back/forth as needed until it hits kdelibs in a way that makes it usable
for both kdevelop and kmail.

I didn't say, btw, this is a showstopper, just something that I don't like.

> It's working code, and it's 200% better than the crappy passive popups,
> multiple progress bars, and lack of information that we have now.

There are no progress bars and there are 2 passive popups. I don't see how
this one would magically fix the lack of information, we still need to add
IStatus to the places that should report status information. And it also
doesn't handle project opening because its not integrated with the
job-tracking yet.

Chicken Little only has to be right once.