bugs.kde.org: a thought

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Dec 9 10:06:34 UTC 2009

On 09.12.09 20:44:07, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:13:20 pm Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In reading the bug mailing list for kdevelop it seems that users reporting
> > bugs against kdevelop < 4 is very common still. Perhaps we should ask the
> > b.k.o maintainers if they can prevent new bugs from being opened against
> >  these versions, and display or link to a page which tells the user that
> >  the old versions are no longer maintained, and to encourage switching to
> >  4.0?
>
> Oh, and another thought: perhaps we should put version numbers in the desktop
> files, and write code in the plugin loader to refuse to load old plugins, at
> least until we start maintaining binary compatibility.  That way we'll avoid
> having to deal with people's problems when they still have old (eg.
> sourceformatter) plugins around, if we remove/rename/move to playground any
> plugin in the future.

You need to check your reality ;) Thats already done in KDevelop3 even. The
problem is this:

> It would require an extra step in the release of a new version, though.

The same way as we don't bump the SOVERSION of our libraries we do not bump
the plugin version. The latest breakage will not even exist for people
using the beta's as between beta6 and beta7 there's no such bc-breakage (as
source-formatter was re-activated).

And frankly, I'm not up for going through 20 desktop files and two places
in code for each beta. People running beta's should simply start thinking
and remove all remainings of a previous installation.

You may be recognized soon.  Hide.