bugs.kde.org: a thought

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Dec 9 09:44:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:13:20 pm Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In reading the bug mailing list for kdevelop it seems that users reporting
> bugs against kdevelop < 4 is very common still. Perhaps we should ask the
> b.k.o maintainers if they can prevent new bugs from being opened against
>  these versions, and display or link to a page which tells the user that
>  the old versions are no longer maintained, and to encourage switching to
>  4.0?

Oh, and another thought: perhaps we should put version numbers in the desktop
files, and write code in the plugin loader to refuse to load old plugins, at
least until we start maintaining binary compatibility.  That way we'll avoid
having to deal with people's problems when they still have old (eg.
sourceformatter) plugins around, if we remove/rename/move to playground any
plugin in the future.

It would require an extra step in the release of a new version, though.

Cheers,
Hamish.