proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Amilcar do Carmo Lucas amilcar at kdevelop.org
Fri Dec 4 20:45:55 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009 18:12:41 Sam S. wrote:
> However, we can't just remove all those links
> and not put them anywhere else (they were there in the first place
> because at least some of the are important, for details see the
> explanatory graphics I've uploaded), so I've updated that mockup to
> show those links integrated into the left navigation panel. (resulting
> in a new "About" section in that menu)
The current top menu is the result of a careful analysis of the most visited
pages of the website, so basically there are the most followed links in the
site.

> Maybe you guys are a little biased from being GUI application
> developers ;-) - from my experience, in the world of webpages tab-like
> links do not necessarily have to be interpreted that way. A webpage is
> not a widget with multiple views, it's a collection of multiple pages.
> And links get you from one page to another. Now if some links are
> styled like little signs that stick out from underneath a horizontal
> line, so what... the can still be just links.
I did tabs in the current design because I felt they looked nice, but I could
have gone with buttons also. But like you say, this is web design, and tabs
have a hole new meaning here.

> However, if this really bothers you: how else would you style those
> links? The current tab-like appearence makes them look very well
> integrated into the surrounding design of the webpage.
I like the tabs

--
Amilcar Lucas
KDevelop developer/webmaster