proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:59:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas
<amilcar at kdevelop.org> wrote:
> I like the tabs

Would you be okay with having only three of them
("Downloads"/"Features"/"Screenshots"), and styled as seen in "Variant
f)" ?

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas
<amilcar at kdevelop.org> wrote:
> On Friday 04 December 2009 10:17:19 Alexander Dymo wrote:
>> [...] Amilcar, do we have stats
>>  like the number of clicks to Links vs the number of visitors?
> Yes I do. http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=stats.html

Looking at those statistics, I feel even more vindicated putting those
"Downloads"/"Features"/"Screenshots" links there at the top of the
page.

As you will have noticed, I'm actively lobbying in favour of variation
"f)"... :-)
Does anyone particularly *not* like that one, or have specific reasons
why the website should *not* look like that?
Most importantly, Amilcar, would you be willing to agree to that one?

In order to give you a better basis for comparison, I've added some
mockups (again, at
http://smls75.sqweebs.com/kdevelop%20website%20design%20proposal/)
showing how a "typical" page of that website which is (visually)
rather boring compared the the front page would look like with those
different layout variations.

This also shows more clearly what I like about variant "f)": Through
the bread-crumb bar and the lowered search box, the area for the
actual page content and the header & left menu look like they actually
belong together...  (As opposed to just a boring rectangular area
seperated from the header by a straight line accross the whole
screen...). To me, this makes the site look both more friendly as well
as more interesting. (Plus, as Amilcar has pointed out, a
breadcrumb-bar is in itself a really neat and useful thing!)

About the green color value being unpleasant (which 2 people have
reported here): Ok, I'm gonna look into that again... Maybe, a little
less "yellow" color component will do it...