proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Dec 4 13:47:02 UTC 2009

On Friday, 4. December 2009 14:14:19 Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> [Kris Wong | Friday 04 December 2009]

> > > Thats too bad. I've never really done anything large with JS on
> > > websites, but I did recently look at some real-world JS code in Firefox
> > > extensions (and also wrote my own) and from my perspective its the same
> > > as any other language. You sure can do pure evil on websites with JS,
> > > but just as well you can do really useful things. But thats the same
> > > with any other General Purpose language, the only difference is the
> > > OO-model in JS is quite different to many other languages and needs
> > > some getting-used-to.
> >
> > Web 2.0/3.0 is driven by JavaScript and ajax. I can't imagine anyone
> > would disable JS in their browser these days, but I'd bet about 50% of
> > sites would not work correctly if they did. I think the idea of avoiding
> > JS has become a bit archaic at this point.
>
> Another argument:
> A vast majority of the security issues in today's web browsers are
> JavaScript-related. I cannot imagine anyone would leave JS enabled
>  carelessly.
>
> (I have JS, Cookies, Java, Flash, ... disabled and only anable JS and
>  Cookies for specific sited.)
>
> It is simple: know your target group and serve them. If they tend to have
> JS disabled, have a fallback. If you decide not to care about that
>  percentage of users, you do not need a fallback.

Guys, I think your discussion here is totally pointless. I think the people
who'd implement the menu or something like that are experienced enough to use
some kind of javascript framework like jQuery, MooTools, ... that essentially
take all the effort off your shoulders. Imo you write accessible sites
automatically if you use these technices. JS disabled? No problem, you get
plain HTML...

So imo, this discussion is totally pointless and obsolete. Esp. considering
that we speak about mockups here...
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de